Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Carrying Out My Game Plan

            Last week I was able to customize my GAME Plan in improving my ability to integrate more communicative web tools that allow my students to collaborate on projects that they complete with other students around the world. In order to do this I also needed to enhance my background knowledge of how to monitor the students postings and ensure that they are demonstrating proper netiquette. This week I will begin to carry out my Game Plan by identifying, what resources I need, what additional information I will need, and monitoring what I have done so far.

My Game Plan became more important to me this week after learning about the Universal Design to learning (UDL), which helps educators to create lessons that meet the needs of diverse learners (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009). Technology happens to be a crucial component of UDL. Amongst the variety of tools applied in UDL are communication tools and multimedia tools. These tools tools help build communication skills and help support student learning in the mode that they prefer (Cennamo, et. al., 2009).

What resources will I need to carry out my plan?

In order to incorporate communicative multimedia tools and ensure that they are used properly, I need to research the various tools that I would like to work with. I have decided to begin with the use of VoiceThread and Skype. I will need to communicate with the technology educators at my school to learn more about these tools and how they can be used in the classroom. I will also need to obtain the school internet guidelines and collaborate with the administrators regarding any suggestions they may have for incorporating these tools and communicating with parents. Through regular internet research, research, professional collaboration with colleagues in and out of my district, my Walden courses, and professional development workshops I am sure to obtain the knowledge and resources necessary to carry out my plan.

What Additional Information is Needed?
           
            In order to begin implementing communicative multimedia tools, I need to conduct research and work with my colleague within the district, to create an activity that incorporates these tools. I must then collaborate other professional to identify which tools are best to accomplish my task. The technology educators at my school will also be helpful throughout this process. I will also communicate with other educators in my district to identify who is using communicative tools , what rules do they have in place, and how are they using them. I must also keep a reflective journal of my insights and reflections throughout my research, collaboration, and implementation process.

What Steps Have I Taken So Far?

To date I have already begun communicating with the other Italian teacher about using these collaborative tools such as Skype in our classes to communicate with each other. I have also obtained the district safe internet usage policy and learned that it incorporates the usage of blogs, skype, wikis, and other web 2.0 tools. I have also begun communicating with the technology teachers and other peers regarding what tools are being used in the district and how. My Walden peers have also proven to be a great resources in carrying out my Game plan. Lastly, I have begun searching for technology workshops incorporating communicative tools within my district and elsewhere and will continue to do so, making sure to attend those that meet my needs and availability.

Technology allows educators the flexibility to reach a wide variety of students regardless of their diverse needs. All students deserve an opportunity to learn and express themselves, in a way that is meaningful to them (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011). Technology provides the opportunity for students to be creative and make personal connections to real experiences and situations. I am eagerly looking forward to gaining the knowledge and confidence to begin implementing these tools with my students so that I can further enhance their learning experience.  All children can learn and have there own unique gifts, it is up to the educator to identify those gifts and provide choices and opportunities that allow students to maximize those gifts (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011). As a lifelong learner, I plan to use my resources to do just that!  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  

Daniela Petruzzella

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011) Meeting students’ needs with technology, part 2. [Video webcast]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset
International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards
for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers


3 comments:

  1. Hi Signorina,
    You have mentioned the use of Skype as a collaborative tool. I have begun to use Skype for interaction with collegues on a regular basis. With the ability to work and interact face to face in an individual and group manner, and for delivery of instruction for home bound students, the potential for success with this media is a great one. And with it's versatile functions and access to educational and assistive applications it can also become a tool for students with special needs. I would be interested to see how this works out if you use this in your instructional strategy.
    Good Luck,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,

    Thank you for your comment. I am very intrigued by Skype as a communication tool. I would love to be able to use it for communication with students around the world speaking the target language. I just want to work out all the kinks first. I need to inform myself more on the best ways to monitor student usage. I have never considered Skype for students that are home bound. That is a great use of this tool. Have you ever used it for student to student communication? Do you have any recommendations or suggestions for me? I look forward to our future communications. I am sure that we can learn a lot from each other.

    Have a great week!

    Daniela Petruzzella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I think Voice Thread is an interesting tool and have also considered using it in my classroom, which is also a middle school World Languages classroom. I discovered that a individual subscription to Voice Thread costs $79. You must have a subscription if you want your threads to be private which is an important consideration with middle school students. It's a reasonable price, but I am not sure yet that I would be able to use it. We are still checking into microphone and laptop compatibility.
    Skype, on the other hand, is free. How cool is videophone?! You could use it for practice or assessment of interpersonal conversation skills.
    Both tools could be really engaging and fun!
    Good luck!
    Cheri Sing

    ReplyDelete