Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Monitoring The Progress of My GAME Plan



This week I began to reflect on the actions I have taken to achieve my goals of incorporate technology based communication and collaboration students outside of the classroom and abroad. In order to do this I needed to become familiar with different technology tools that make this possible, as well as, proper netiquette procedures. Due to midterms and the end on the marking period nearing I have been very preoccupied and admittedly did not put as much effort as I would have liked towards implementing this new technology and activity. However, since we last spoke I have come across a plethora of useful knowledge. This week I feel that I have come a long way in my GAME plan.    

This week, I learned that my district would be providing all students with a personal school email which educators will be able to monitor. This helps me with the concerns I had about monitoring students’ discussions and posts on the net. After expressing my goal and concerns regarding using online communicative tools to the technology teacher at my school, he informed me of a book that they use called Net Cettera (OnGuardOnline, n.d.), to teach students proper netiquette. This book has been very informative for me and has helped overcome some of my fears and alleviate some of the concerns I had about using these Web 2.0 tools.  In continuing with the safety concerns that I had regarding these internet tools I communicated my goal with my school administrator and learned that there is a permission slip in place that students get signed in the beginning of the year in order to use these tools. This was relieving because I now know that the parents of my students already have approved them for these activities. I also asked the tech teacher and the administrator if they knew of any teachers in my schools currently using blogs, wikis, skype, or other online communication tools with there students to communicate with other students around the world. Although there were few I was able to begin collaboration efforts with some of them, as well.

Although I have gathered a great deal of information through research and colleagues at my school, my most insightful knowledge came from a friend of mine who teaches Italian at a high school in another district. I had not spoken to her in some time and was glad I did because she has proven to be an excellent resource for achieving my goal and enhancing my technology usage all around. Sue shared her strategies for using Skype with educators from abroad, finding real-life scenarios on YouTube and having students communicate about them on blogs, and using rubrics to assess their communications. I suggested using VoiceThread to upload different podcasts or scenes and having students collaborate with each other on different topics. We also decided that it would be a good idea for me to observe her class when she is using these tools. This will give me a first hand experience with how students react these activities and how to create effective and efficient guidelines and activities with these tools. I put in for a professional day this week to conduct this observation.  I will also be attending a workshop after school on using the iPads, which have different apps allowing for collaboration between students. I will also provide the parents with the account information so that they can follow there students collaboration and performance.

Based on research and continued collaboration with other colleagues within and outside of my district I have decided to start small and begin my first Web 2.0 collaborative activity with the other middle Italian class using VoiceThread. I originally wanted the students to Skype each other but the class times did not match. Rosa (Italian teacher at the other middle school) and I will collaborate weekly to create topics based on the on the learning content for our students.  Students will communicate in audio, visual, and text in the target language using prior knowledge and new knowledge. We will also provide the students with a rubric demonstrating the assessment guidelines. Students will begin by asking of other students based on the topics being learned. They will then have to reply to four questions of different peers from the other school.

This will serve as a formative performance assessment. Assessing students learning is a pertinent part in monitoring and evaluating that technology and learning goals are being met. Technology provides a plethora of options for assessing students learning. Through the use of this tool students are able to demonstrate their knowledge using methods that engage them most, communication with peers and graphics. For the most part students are also picking their own topics of communication, which in turn provides a sense of ownership over the task (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).

Thus far I do not feel that I need to modify my GAME Plan. However, I do plan to do more research on finding other schools to communicate with abroad. There are so many resources available to educators at the click of a finger. Every time I begin to research I feel overwhelmed with information overload. There are so many areas of technology that I would like to improve on; I just need to keep reminding myself to take it one step at a time. I am confident that if I take my time and thoroughly evaluate and use my resources I will successfully accomplish my goals.

Although this week was full of breakthroughs I am still very curious about using Skype, blogs, or even VoiceThread. Is it better to assign each student to one other student in the corresponding class, like a pen pal program? What is and effective and efficient amount of time to require students to spend using this tool per week? Are there any good tips or suggestions for creating a general rubric for these activities?  Any suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to continuing my journey through achieving my goal!

Daniela Petruzzella

Resourcses:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011) Assessing Student Learning With Technology [Video webcast]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset

OnGuardOnline. Stop Think Click. (n.d.). Net Cettera, Chatting with Kids About Being Online. Retrieved from: www.onguardonline.gov

VoiceThread. Retrieved from www.voicethread.com.




12 comments:

  1. Hi Daniela,
    Wow what amazing breakthroughs you had this week for your GAME plane! Collaboration helps me so much in making progress and benefiting from new perspectives. I was so pleased for you that you found someone else in the district to start some projects with. I prefer to start at a more local level before I leap to global interaction.

    I share the same interest in Skype- my primary concern is monitoring student interactions and how it might apply in math. I can see how it would be a powerful tool for language practice with incredible global opportunities. Great idea to have students communicate in audio, visual, and text in the target language.

    I find VoiceThread to work so well for collaborative projects. I used it in conjunction with a concept mapping exercise and we received some very interesting feedback and suggestions.

    Do you have a method to archive all these websites and tools you are discovering? I know bookmarking is great for different sites but I wonder about the technology?

    I look forward to hearing about your iPad adventures. We do not have them in our school but I consider mine an extra appendage at this point- such an incredible tool for the classroom.

    Thanks so much for sharing your GAME plan progress- you inspired me to rethink Skype in the classroom. Have a great night, Petra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petra,

      Thank you for your supportive comment. I could not agree more that communication and collaboration is the best way for students and peers to gain great insights into what they are learning. This week truly did prove to be very exciting, motivating, and insightful. Unfortunately, students are in midterms right now so I have not been able to start working on this project yet, but the good thing is it gives my colleague and I a chance to plan out how we want to introduce, monitor, and use the tool. Needless to say we are very excited about this and are looking forward to starting this within the next couple of weeks.

      I also love VoiceThread so much. I use it often instead of PowerPoint to introduce new topics, my students use it for digital storytelling, and more. We love that is so easy to use and has so many options for expression.

      Currently the only tool I have for bookmarking is the bookmarking tool on my computer. Little by little I am starting to use the Delicious social bookmarking tool because it allows me to share my sites quickly and easily with my colleagues, and allows me to access them from any computer.

      Skype is a really intriguing tool and I have been considering ways to safely incorporate it into my lessons for some time now. I have used it with family members but eventually will start using it globally.

      I finally got my Ipad fixed and was able to start downloading Apps, now I feel like a kid in a candy store. There is so much you can do with the IPad, I'm so excited to learn more. I will definitely keep you posted.

      I'm glad I was able to inspire you. I'm very excited about my new projects. Thanks for stopping by. have a great weekend.

      Daniela

      Delete
  2. Hi Daniela,

    You have posed great questions concerning how to assess students’ communication skills as they collaborate online. It made me really think about the criteria I have developed for measuring the quality of their process journal reflections. You mention your colleague uses Skype and blogging to write about real-life scenarios and uses rubrics to assess their communication. Which criteria does she use to measure their communication? Since you want to guide your students as to proper “netiquette” I would include this quality into the assessment, to ensure students develop an awareness of positive communication skills online.

    The other good question is whether to assign students to a partner, to which they can build a rapport with, or do you let them respond randomly to different students? It is my feeling that a younger student might feel more comfortable communicating with a partner, and that an older student could better handle responding to more students. There are advantages to both learning environments, so you cannot go wrong with either choice.

    Good luck,

    Alexi


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexi,

      Currently my friend is only using a rubric for blog posts. The rubric she uses is very general and based mainly on the participation of the students and quality of the responses. She dis not have a netiquette aspect in her rubric. However, I absolutely agree that it would be a great idea to include that in the rubric, thank you for the suggestion. What criteria do you currently use to assess your students' journal reflections?

      I agree, that the students might prefer to get to know one student a little better that have to get to know a variety of students. I may just leave both options open to the students as a a choice. With VoiceThread they can choose who they wish to communicate with regularly and I can monitor it easily.

      Thaank you so much for your suggestions. They are very helpful. Have a great weekend!

      Daniela Petruzzella

      Delete
    2. Hi Daniela,

      I created my own reflection rubric and included criteria such as the depth of their collaboration/communication, the organisation of the information in multiple formats, evaluation of the resources and the depth of reflection: narrative, evaluative, synthesising or transforming the information collected.

      I am also collecting data on the frequency of their reflections.

      Hope this helps.

      Alexi

      Delete
  3. Daniela,

    Brava, Signorina Petruzzella! What an outstanding post! I truly enjoyed reading through your reflection of this past week with your mid-terms approaching and the end of the marking period coming to a close. I know how crazy it can get around that time. I am going through the same thing at the moment. You mentioned that you did not implement the technology tools as much as you would have liked. In the future, may I suggest online Jeopardy, Rags to Riches (a replica of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire), Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grade. Here is a link, which contains a template for that: http://www.slideshare.net/intecnic/smarter-than-a-5th-grader-template. These tools are great for a mid-term review game or to monitor student progress throughout or at the end of a lesson.

    I think you idea to work with another middle school Italian teacher in a different middle school is a fanstastic. This will surely enrich your students educational experiences and leave a lasting impression on them, as well as yourself. Let us know how it goes. I know I have said this once before and I am happy to say it again: I wish I was in your Italian class!!! So much fun!

    Good luck with your future plans. I would love to see what is included on your rubric also. Is it for the Italian piece or a generic rubric for reflections and such?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read your post to Alexi. I am sorry to ask about the rubric. I think I have my answer, unless you have more to add to the thought...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie,

    Thank you for the compliments and gor sjaring that website. I have used rags to riches before but it was pre-created by someone else. I have been trying like crazy to games that i can create myself to help studnets learn vocabulary and such. If you know of anymore I would greatly appreciate it. As far as the rubris, it is still in the works. I think we will keep it pretty general in regards to the reflection part but also have a general target language usage component. This will ensure that students are using their best efforts to speak the language.

    I am pleased that you enjoyed my post. Happy Sunday!

    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are flashcards games you can create on QUIA.com

    Or you can create these games through EasiTeach software and connect your iPad to a projector. The iPad can be passed around for students to play a matching game or memories game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is another...http://www.pppst.com/templates.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. more fun templates!


    http://teach.fcps.net/trt14/Power%20Point%20Games/power_point_games.htm

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok sorry.. last one, unless you want more. http://teach.fcps.net/trt4/FETC03/fun2.htm

    ReplyDelete